[bulug] SSDs and partition alignment

  • From: "Jimmy C. Chau" <chaujc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:42:55 -0400

 My old laptop's dying, so I got myself a ThinkPad X301, which happens
to have a SSD.  I just finished partitioning my SSD, when I stumbled
upon some articles about aligning partitions and file-systems against
the erase boundaries of the SSD:

    *
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/
    * http://www.nuclex.org/blog/personal/80-aligning-an-ssd-on-linux%22

The first article is supposedly written by a file-system dev, so I
assume he knows what he's talking about, but reading his article left me
confused about how to align partitions.  E.g., where does he got the 224
heads and the 56 sectors/track?  I'm curious about how he got these
numbers because I'm wondering if I'll need different settings for my SSD
(Toshiba thns128gg4baaa-n), which is different from the one he uses.

Anyone know how to figure out the erase block size of a SSD?  I can find
suggestions for Intel and OCZ SSDs, but none for Toshiba ones.

Do the head and the sector/track numbers have any other effect (other
than partition alignment)?  What's the criteria for selecting these
numbers?

I'll keep searching for answers myself (and if anyone shows interest,
I'll reply with what I learned), but some expert advice will probably
make life a lot easier and would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
-Jimmy C. Chau
<jchau@xxxxxx>