[bulug] Re: Making bind authoritative for arbitrary domains

  • From: Alexcb <alexcb@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:29:23 -0500

Dsniff certainly does have some useful party tricks for making the point to clients who don't quite get the importance of network security.

Sometimes I miss being a network/systems consultant.

-Alex

Alex Whittemore wrote:
Arpspoof, eh? I bet you've got a firefox window open right now displaying exactly what I'm looking at, real time, don't you?
Dangeroussssss.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Alexcb <alexcb@xxxxxx <mailto:alexcb@xxxxxx>> wrote:

    yeah, everything in dsniff is very handy for those quick little
    hacks when you don't actually need a full server. And arpspoof is
    just so much fun :-)

    -Alex

    Alex Whittemore wrote:

        I wish it was as simple as using /etc/hosts. In fact, simply
        modifying /etc/hosts is no different from any of the things
        that could be done by employing a false DNS server, but for
        the purposes of the project, an actual dns server has to be
        involved (or, as Alex Bernson suggests, a DNS forwarder that
        spoofs some responses). So in fact, I'll probably try Ryan's
        suggestion first, just because the bind server is already set
        up and (at least mostly) configured correctly, but failing
        that I'll jump ship to Alex's suggestion, which is really what
        I needed in the first place (so thanks a bunch, that pretty
        much solves the problem :).

        Thanks,
        Alex

        On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx
        <mailto:rmullen@xxxxxx> <mailto:rmullen@xxxxxx
        <mailto:rmullen@xxxxxx>>> wrote:

           Alternatively, if you don't even specifically need DNS and just
           want to look up by names, the /etc/hosts file should work just
           fine - though that's probably way too simplistic.

           On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Alexcb wrote:

               If you don't actually need to have a dns server running and
               just want to redirect a few domains, the dnsspoof
        program from
               the dsniff package might be a simpler solution. It
        allows you
               to redirect whatever domains you set in a simple text
        config,
               while forwarding all other requests on to a proper DNS
        server.
                https://calomel.org/dns_spoof.html

               Maybe not a great long term solution, but if it's just
        for a
               quick project/testing, it's way easier than mucking around
               with Bind.

               -Alex Bernson

               Alex Whittemore wrote:

                   Hey linux user group! I am working on a project which
                   requires me to have a DNS server configured and serving
                   bogus information. Let's take the example of google. I
                   have my DNS server all set up (in my basement at
        home, yay
                   basement server farms) and it's perfectly capible of
                   handling regular DNS requests for domains whose
        proper NS
                   records (with whatever root name servers) point to it.
                   What I need it to do, however, is also serve
        requests for
                   example for www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                   <http://www.google.com>. That is to say, if I tell my
                   laptop to use it as a primary DNS server, I need my
        laptop
                   to draw an A record for www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                   <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
        from MY

                   name server, not query a.root-servers.net
        <http://a.root-servers.net>
                   <http://a.root-servers.net>
        <http://a.root-servers.net>

                   for an NS record, then NS1.google.com
        <http://NS1.google.com>
                   <http://NS1.google.com> <http://NS1.google.com> for
        an A

                   record. I've configured my dns server to do this, but I
                   don't know how to make it authoritative - for some
        reason
                   it just seems to serve the correct records even when I
                   edit its db.root to tell it that a.root-servers.net
        <http://a.root-servers.net>
                   <http://a.root-servers.net>
        <http://a.root-servers.net> is

                   the only root level dns server, and that it's ip is the
                   name server's itself.

                   Any ideas on how to get this rockin'? I can email
        config
                   files if you like. For general info, the system is a
                   ubuntu 8.04 box with bind-chroot installed (bind9)

                   Alex

               _________
               bulug-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:bulug-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>