[budc] Re: The Boat

  • From: Tim Cozens <tim.cozens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "budc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <budc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:02:48 +0100

The spare bendix is I'm the boat box. What is the symptom of not starting ?
Does it spin and not engage or not sin when the key is turned.
Regards.

Sent from my iPod

On 29 Jun 2015, at 19:53, "Andrew Hubbard" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We did the Ore Wreck on Saturday. The vis at the moment is unbelievable and
this was confirmed by the dive shop at Lancing who said it is like that
everywhere along the South Coast. Torches were virtually superfluous.
Worthing branch were diving every day last week and their boat had 12 people
on at a time! There is also a stunning amount of life – full report is on
the website.

There were however 3 issues with the boat.
1. The starboard engine won’t start whilst covering divers and again
back in the marina after refuelling. The problem is a broken tooth on the
starter Bendix gear. Fortunately it has not damaged the flywheel. I have
phoned Adrian Cronk (the outboard engineer). Apparently it is a bit of a pig
of a job but he is going to take the starter motor out on Wednesday, take it
home to mend it and refit it on Saturday morning. This means that the boat
will not be available from Wednesday to Noon Saturday.
2. The port engine used a huge amount of oil. Adrian is going to have
a quick look at the settings while he is down there.
3. The fuel gauge under-reads so when filling up it will overflow even
before the needle gets into the green section of the gauge. So be extra
careful when refuelling and keep all kit away from under the port side of the
console where the overflow vent is (by the throttle levers) otherwise you
could get it washed in petrol – not a good idea!!!!

Andrew

Andrew Hubbard
Email: andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0) 7990 595625