[bsg] Summer Bird Atlas begins June 1

  • From: John Dillon <kisforkryptonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:33:19 -0500

BSG birders,

This is the final year for the LSU Summer Bird Atlas (June 1 - July 15). Below
is a list of all NWLA quads that have been sampled but have not met the 10-hr
threshold. I've noted a few that I plan to finish myself unless someone else
would like to them one or more of them. If you plan to take ANY of the quads
below, PLEASE post that information to BirdAlert so all other birders can plan
accordingly.

Before the list, a few reminders:

-the Atlas will NOT release data on "night" birds (ie, owls and nightjars). So,
starting before dawn won't be necessary unless you want extra Yellow-breasted
Chats.

- quads need 10 hours to reach their threshold, not 20.

- the SBA will not accept any observations collected between noon and an hour
or so before dusk. Best to bird between about 5:30 am and 11:00 am or so.

- must bird AT LEAST 1 hour.

- because this is nesting season, observers should be familiar with songs of
local breeders. If you're unfamiliar with bird songs, this is a great chance to
go birders who can teach you to bird by ear.

Shreveport West. Needs 1.8
Calvin.  Needs 2.25
Huxley East. Needs 2.6
Verda. Needs 3 (may be able to take)