[bsg] Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, lichens and weather details from RRNWR HQ today- 09-04.

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 20:32:03 -0500

Hi all, Been meaning to mention this awhile back- then also add notes to
eBird regarding-

Large patches of the Chickasaw plum thickets throughout seemed to be
further weakening. I don't know whether this has been going on for quite
some time- or if the recent floods have caused further damage. I suspect
both- as I've been seeing lichens here for years- just not nearly as many.
One or more species of lichen are now festooning branches in extensive
swaths within the plum thickets throughout along the yellow trail.These
exact areas also seem to contain the highest numbers of both Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher and Ruby-throated Hummingbird migrants that have been being
seen. There are scattered blooming trumpet creeper being guarded by a
hummer or two here and there- but again, we're seeing the largest groupings
of those and gnatcatchers in the areas with the heaviest lichens. I realize
both species rely somewhat heavily on these during nesting season for
nest-building material but was wondering why so many migrants are remaining
clustered in these areas now. Again, there may be more than one or two
species represented- or it may just be differences in fruiting bodies and
non-reproductive portions of the same plant that I'm seeing. I have a pic
taken on 08/27 I can forward if anyone is interested. It might help with
the identification but it's not very good.........

I also noticed that I left out the weather details for today in my post.
I've since added them to the eBird comments and for any who might be
interested, here they are-

Clouds 75% high, thin, wind calm (s at 3) beginning. Clearing somewhat with
light to ~6 mph winds, then Clear/ few thin clouds mainly to south, 86
degrees, wind se at 2 ending.

Cheers,

Terry