[bsg] Red River National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters- 04-15-15. Fos Northern waterthrush, Scarlet Tanager, migrant Swainson's Wa, others

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:26:21 -0500

Hi all, Fos for me at the refuge today were 1 Northern Waterthrush (calls
also recorded), 4 Tennessee Warbler,1 and Scarlet Tanager male. A possible
first Swainson's Warbler recorded in dense roughleaf dogwood near the
orchard rd/ levee confluence may be a possible first for the refuge. TEN
Summer Tanager!- all seen were males, was also great, then 4 male Kentucky
Warbler. Indigo Bunting and Baltimore Orioles (also my first this year for
refuge) also picking up. Otherwise, most others were either in about the
same or lower numbers than usual. Three lingering Chipping Sparrows was
interesting- as was zero detection for Lincoln's Sparrow. Overall, 14
species of warbler wasn't too bad! Here's the list-

Maybe the southwest winds will bring some circum-gulf stuff our way between
tomorrow and the weekend. Good luck to those that are able to get out. I'll
happily be up to my elbows planting- but I'll be listening.......You can
bet on that!

Cheers and good birding!

Terry