[bsg] Hughes quad bright green. Some extra shorebirds for Bossier City quad/others- 07-15-12

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Labirders/Bsg'ers, I put a little over 6 hours into Hughes quad between
Benton and Rocky Mount to get it green today. Birding was great in some
respects/lackluster in other- with 58 spp for a quad that, as much as I hate to
admit it, had actually MORE water than what is shown on the map- how's that for
bass-ackward from the norm!?. I hit an owl grand-slam early, except, of course
Barn (upland..... could happen.....!? NO WAY!!- well not likely) but missed
Chuck. I had brief views of a large, "rocking" bat as I looked up at my 3rd
stop and though for a thirty-secondth of a second that I had an American
Woodcock. Btw, did anyone succeed in securing AMWO for the LSBA!? I hate to say
it, but right about now it would surprise me much if they did! I can honestly
say I had a lot of fun today!! The week-long showers had a few that are
normally hard to come by at this time, still singing.

Other better birds were-
Great Blue- 3. All in the general s to s-e portion of the quad, with two on
postage-stamp ponds.
Great Egret- Flyby high and dry- also southeast.
Wild Turkey- half grown bird on Ward Line about midway between 160 and Rocky
Mount. Missed NOBO,.......but tried! KILL was a miss here, too

Raptors- RSHA, RTHA and MIKI- MIKI and RSHA scattered but got RTHA barely by a
hair........
Hairy Woodpecker- 1 on 7 Pines.........ready for this!? missed P-I-W-O!! That
was the lowest of the day

N Flicker- widely sep locales- 2 seems to be the number, lately.
Decent no of ACFL but missed EWPE..........and I was so sure one of those n
Bossier Par bridges held a lingering E Phoebe.......not!
Okay nos WEVI , low REVI- but missed Yellow-throated

Wood Thrush- 14..........good nos again!!
American Robin- 1!!...............and this rare upland singer serenading me
loud and clear at 1699 Butler Hill Rd- (-;
Brown Thrasher- 12! My personal best count this atlas season, maybe ever for
personal LSBA single-quad nos!! NOMO with only 14!
Black-and-White Warbler- 2 males/song dueling at a single locality on Butler
Hill, 2.8 miles s of 160- This has been by far my best year for these- missed
most years.
Swainson's "- 2 Didn't try for them til I hit Rocky Mount and had two in short
order. There were quite a few HOWA but few Pine and YBCH. Barely got COYE, too!
Rocky Mount rd looks outstanding for Worm-eating. I tried quite a few areas for
them, to no avail. I've all but given up on Prairie Warbler in these young
pine/sweetgum-mix stands so late, although lured the silence many times. Early
migrants/dispersals of PRWA are no doubt already running in singles to prs in
non-breeding habitat along Red River valley agri- country.

E Towhee- 16. This IS towhee country- nos low for here! I got CHSP but three at
only one location. E Meadowlark was somewhat of a miss.

Absence of Greater Roadrunner here is almost as noteworthy as fudging on
Pileated Woodpecker......well, not that bad, knowing their frequent reluctance
to respond. Larry Raymond got one in Blanchard quad today, though- so all is
not lost!!

IF IF IF I had run north to just south of Rocky Mount's Road's northern
entrance from hwy 3, I might've might've (but probably more-so shite've) fared
a little better. I had completely forgotten about the cypress swamp on hwy 3
just s of Rocky Mount rd. I probably could've would've should've gotten
Yellow-throated Warbler and N Parula + waders I'd already gotten and then some
+ this + that + the other,
but......................................................

On the way home I took a spin for an hour in Bossier City quad, where I was
surprised at some great A-R-R-I-V-I-N-G (and bet I got it right this time! (-;
) shorebirds!! In the small weedy lagoon/area with adjacent exposed mudflats
being dredged for future development at River Bluff during brief showers and
sun, I found-

Solitary Sandpiper- 3. All together/slightly spaced. Apparently worn
adult-plumaged. This area may be good for observation this entire fall until
dredging resumes but folks will probably ask what you are doing.....so just be
courteous- and please don't drive off the main road onto the dirt rds. Higher
overall nos of Snowy Egret than Little Blue was slightly surprising, being
north of town. Most of the birds are easily close enough to be seen with
binoculars from the car without ever getting out. This is one of the nicest
overlooks onto Red River!

Scoping some flats on the north end of the main sandbar along the river, there
were-

Least Tern- 3 (2 juvies dogging an adult) I think Hubert had slightly more here
during his recent survey but definitely more juvies then, too.

Western Sandpiper- 3- that appeared to still be very much in adult breeding
plumage- how nice!! There was a fourth bird approx 150' to the west of the 3
that was a bit too distant too secure, for sure- but by gestalt, also appeared
Western.

Bank Swallow- 1 - early migrant near, but appeared to be patrolling separately
from an enormous, sometimes mixing gp of mostly Purple Martin, Cliff, Barn and
a few Northern Rough-winged. The indiv also gave a few vocalizations- which I
find to be much less common given by fall migs as opposed to spring- Hubert
reported 4 Bank Swallow from Elm Grove today also!!- along with 3 separate
Black-necked Stilt prs caring for/ helping young, Common Moorhen and Lark
Sparrow!

And last but not totally least, was none-other than a vocalizing E Wood-Pewee
from a copse of tall cottonwoods next to a house away from the pecan orchard.
All I have heard this summer season thus far is complete song. I have yet to
hear birds giving the "pee dideep" or "puree" calls. Although most birds
calling in the latter fashion are usually migrants, I usually hear at least a
few birds by around this time occasionally giving these calls.

Reporting from Bossier Parish on the awesomely- fitting final day of the
Louisiana Summer Bird Atlas,

Terry Davis