[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Viking Dr portion W of Benton rd, Nov 24, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:03:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, Got out later in the afternoon. There were no Iceland Gull, Common
Merganser or Black Scoter here (btw, nice finds y'all!!)- but I did get to
observe interesting interaction between AMKE and RTHA, then AMKE carrying, then
eating it's fresh med-small passerine kill!

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:53 PM, "do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxx"
<do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Viking Dr portion W of Benton rd, Bossier, US-LA
Nov 24, 2013 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     1 observer, 2 hours (2-4 p.m.), 2 miles (1.5 driven, .5 walked).
43 degrees,  80% high, thin couds,  winds ~8 N beginning, then 40 degrees, 100%
high thin clouds, wind ~10-12 N ending. Birded Viking running usual route from
confluence with Benton Rd, then W and N under I-220 to dead end/ private rd.
Birding was slow for some things, good for others. Biggest misses here were
EUST, HOWR, EABL, then WTSP and blackbird nos were low. Surprisingly, I missed
LeConte's Sparrow after walking two likely areas. Of course, Bewick's Wren and
Harris's Sparrow could almost be considered misses at this location.......
Interesting notes on ad m and f AMKE. Personal FOS for Cedar Waxwing
30 species

Double-crested Cormorant  5     1 N/N-w, then 1, 3 E
Turkey Vulture  3     Sep singles soaring
Cooper's Hawk  2     Ad m just W of confluence with Benton, then juv F on N end
Red-tailed Hawk  5     Scatt singles -all ad
Killdeer  46     40, 5, 1
Ring-billed Gull  1     ad to S
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  25     As 2,5,4,7,7- most N and N-e
Mourning Dove  254     Single groups of  1-15, most later N of I-220, then
single group of 140 arriving from high W to roost
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  2     Ad male observed closely tailing and relentlessly
harassing ad and prob f RTHA for 10 seconds or so. Ad fem observed flying N for
approx 100 yards across open, very short stubble field at same location
carrying passerine, which looked larger than Savannah Sparrow, etc. Observed
through scope for 10 minutes but stubble a bit too tall to see the prey item. A
single Horned Lark had flown over calling to S-w in that direction moments
earlier...............
Loggerhead Shrike  8     One of consistent locations to get decent nos/ per
mile. All singles, then closely associating 2 at N dead end
Horned Lark  1     Flyover to S-w, appeared to be ad male
Sedge Wren  1     Low wet spot w/ SWSP
Carolina Wren  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4     Singles on N end
Northern Mockingbird  10     Singles and grp of 3
American Pipit  30     As 1 high S, then grounded/ lower grps 18, 11
Cedar Waxwing  10     Grp to E. Fos for me- and quite late!
Orange-crowned Warbler  1     w/ YRWA, RCKI, WTSP, SWSP, WCSP, NOCA -working
Campsis row w larger black willow, rough-leaf dogwood and Chinese tallow. In
with largest group of birds aside from MODO- observed just S of N dead end
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  7
Savannah Sparrow  3     Near AMKE kill.
Song Sparrow  6     Scatt singles
Swamp Sparrow  7     As 4,2,1
White-throated Sparrow  6     As 5,1
White-crowned Sparrow  29     As 10,4,8,5,2- ~80% ad.
Northern Cardinal  34     As singles, then 20,5,6. Conservative with largest
group.
Red-winged Blackbird  2     Sep flybys N/E
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Common Grackle  2     Single grp late commuters N-w
House Finch  1     calling flyby

View this checklist online at

Good birding,

Terry