[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Stoner woods- Shreveport/Caddo, Aug 9, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:23:19 -0700 (PDT)

For those who aren't familiar with my Stoner Woods acronyms descriptive of
areas within the woods, a capital P= Parking lot area, N= northwest opening, W=
west woods, C= central opening, S = south end, E= east woods. Of course, there
are others descriptive of bird ages, etc, that many are already familiar with.
There were no bird at the bridge (BR) during a brief stop there on the way out.
I conducted a watch of morning flybys and commuters on my usual field sheet,
although should've used the legal yellow pad to avoid the clutter....LOL. Skies
were rather slow but yielded a few good ones. My part-time helper (an excellent
worker, btw!!) enjoyed learning a few new birds. We found an interesting
short-tailed-type shrew under a piece of carpet near the central opening. Leps
were flying and recorded but were left off this list.

Stoner woods- Shreveport/Caddo, Caddo, US-LA
Aug 9, 2012 5:55 AM - 10:25 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     2 observers, 4 hrs, 30 minutes, 2 miles walked. 78 degrees, 80%
clouds, calm beginning, hot, clear, trace sw ending. Birded Stoner woods on Red
River in Shreveport with Josh Day. We arrived early for owls. Flyby activity
was very slow early and picked up late, so we lingered a little later than
usual scanning for flybys- a Lark Sparrow and decent nos of Yellow Warbler were
good. Complete miss of Alder Flycatcher was odd but singles of ACFL, LEFL.
Indiv Worm-eating Warbler at 3 separate places was interesting. Complete miss
of Northern Parula was odd as well, although from memory, possibly corresponds
with a gap between June/July dispersals.
47 species

Great Blue Heron  5     P5- only low relocation, etc.
Great Egret  9     First at 0623 low nnw- most/all early commuters to sse,
higher n, and nnw in order of frequency/direction.
Little Blue Heron  8     1st 5 juv/hy nnw at 0648, then 2, 1 sse- all white-
missed Snowy entirely.
Cattle Egret  3     Fairly high e at 0703
Green Heron  4     P- 3 juv, 1 ad., only low relocation, etc.
Mississippi Kite  7     First 2 ad fairly high in linear flight  wsw at 0634,
then 1 s, 1 wsw, 1s, then S2 juv. The early a.m. flight of these a bit odd but
have recorded this at least once before, here.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     C 1 ad- becoming a fairly uncommon sight along the
river in many areas these days.
Upland Sandpiper  1     Calling, then observed high sse at 0703
Eurasian Collared-Dove  1     To n at 0702
Mourning Dove  7     Commuters-first 2 wsw at 0623, then prs and singles mostly
wsw, then sse
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  5     P2, N1, C2
Eastern Screech-Owl  4     P1, C1, S1, E1. Much obliging to play-back.
Chimney Swift  4     sse at 0637
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5     P1, C3, S1- all seen well f-t
Belted Kingfisher  4     P3 (to possibly 5), 1 high s horizon to horizon just
after skywatch.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  10     P3, W4, C1, S2
Downy Woodpecker  9     P3, W2, C2, S2
Northern Flicker  3     P2, C1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2     P1, S1
Acadian Flycatcher  1     W near N. Miss of Alder perplexing
Least Flycatcher  1     C- worn adult
Great Crested Flycatcher  1     W
Eastern Kingbird  2     P- missed STFL
Warbling Vireo  1     S- where largest single gp of passerines found in low,
moist willows/mix including 4 BGGN, 1 f SUTA 1 EAWP.
Blue Jay  9     P4, W2, S3
American Crow  1     sse at  0716
Fish Crow  1     S
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3     sse at 0712
Purple Martin  138     First 4 sse at 0626, then widely-strung gps of 30, 60,
then 44 on wire to nnw of launch immediately after watch.
Barn Swallow  6     Missed time on first, then mostly nnw w largest gp of 3,
some circling after count.
Carolina Chickadee  7     N1, W1, C4, S1
Carolina Wren  23     P4, N3, W7, C4, S5- nice/high!
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  8     W2, C2, S4
American Robin  31     First commuter late wsw at 0645, then few others-1 wsw,
2 nnw, then P8, W3, S6, E10
Northern Mockingbird  2     P- low
European Starling  46     P2 early, 10 w at 0636, then 30, 4
Worm-eating Warbler  3     P1, C1, S1- all observed foraging within small
openings surrounded by mature woods, in smaller trees, densely-covered in
possum grape, other vines. Possibly 2 w/ BAWW adf in W
Black-and-white Warbler  1     W- ad female w/ WEWA in grape tangle
Kentucky Warbler  2     incessant chipping in W, S
Yellow Warbler  8     1 e at 0643, then 2wsw, 1,1, 1e, E2 (adm, f) in willows
along river
Lark Sparrow  1     First heard calling, then observed to wsw at 0639
Summer Tanager  2     P1c, s 1f.
Northern Cardinal  24     Somewhat odd placement within woods with P10, N2, W4,
C6, S2. Absolutely zero passerine buntings or Dickcissel flyovers a bit strange
Common Grackle  2     P- no commuters
Brown-headed Cowbird  28     First 8 sse at 0637, then 8 e and 12 e.
Baltimore Oriole  10     1st fairly high nnw at 0638, then P5, W2, C1, S2- few
ad males, mostly f-t
House Sparrow  1     P