[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Mooringsport Tropical Kingbird loc, Dec 6, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:35:47 -0800 (PST)

 Another..........

Mooringsport Tropical Kingbird loc, Caddo, US-LA
Dec 6, 2012 7:20 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.9 mile(s)
Comments:     Birded with Jeff Trahan. 2 observers, 2 hrs, 20 minutes, .9
miles. 54 degrees, cloudy, wind S-e at 3 beginning, 54 degrees, cloudy, wind S
at 5 ending. Jeff Trahan and I began at a large thicket on a wider parcel of
land edging Caddo Lake on 538 just Northeast of the Swepco plant. We then
walked the narrow strip of woods sandwiched between the RR tracks to the West
and lake edge to the East, South to the bridge. Vehicular traffic and train
noise were noteworthy but some passerines, such as Ruby-crowned Kinglet, were
in good numbers along the road. The lake was scanned for water birds. We
stopped afterward at the Tropical Kingbird location. The bird had been foraging
far out on a point on the lake to the North when we arrived. It immediately
flew in our direction, then over us, landing in the top of the pecan at the
corner of Ferry and E Croom, after a brief shot of TRKI playback. We tried
Couch's initially, but did not get a response
 until TRKI was used. We did not harass the bird any further. A lone mature
female Bald Eagle, observed from the North side of the bridge as it perched for
some time in a large tree just southwest of the point, was an added touch.
54 species

Gadwall  2
Northern Shoveler  7
Canvasback  27