[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Cross Lake/Shreveport, Sep 8, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 22:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

Cross Lake/Shreveport, Caddo, US-LA
Sep 8, 2012 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Charlie Lyon and Terry Davis, 3 hrs (3-6 p.m.), 12 miles by boat.
~80 degrees, 40% cloudy, wind 8 n beginning, clear, warmer, windier ending.
Charlie and I birded Cross Lake this afternoon behind the front and things were
a little slow. We still did pretty good with a 4 tern spp afternoon- including
a juvenile Common, then an adult Bald Eagle and an Osprey! We stopped at
land-bird sites few and far between on the west end of the lake where we found
a few migrants and probable lingering breeders. Other than a little
turtle-catching and de-leeching performed ninja-style, we were pretty much
running and gunning the big lake looking for diurnal drop-ins.
42 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Domestic type)  10
Pied-billed Grebe  1     near rookery/ island
Double-crested Cormorant  28     single gp of 22 on west end, rest singles.
Great Blue Heron  7
Great Egret  12
Snowy Egret  6     Numbers of Snowy, Cattle, Tricolored, also additional nos of
LBHE,GREG not as well-represented as we did not linger to observe heronids
returning to roost
Little Blue Heron  91     most juveniles at rookery.
Cattle Egret  39     most at fish hatchery, rest at rookery
Green Heron  1     ad on w end- allowing super-close approach!
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  1     Over Barron's
Bald Eagle  1     ad w/ratty wings/secondaries over Shreveport Yacht Club
Killdeer  2     hatchery area
Caspian Tern  2     E end- ad and juvenile. Juvenile observed catching small
fish, then dropping it twice.
Black Tern  21     E end- gps of 2, 21, milling low over lake.
Common Tern  1     Hy bird, small bill, carpal bar- observed closely- single
bird possibly associating but remaining distant, lower and to n of  Forster's
gp.
Forster's Tern  17     single gp of basic indivs, dropping in from high briefly
about mid-lake, a few plunges, then rising back very high and disappearing to
southwest.
Rock Pigeon  12     Cove southeast of I-220 bridge
Belted Kingfisher  3     1,2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2     gp west end
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  4
Fish Crow  9
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3     hatchery. No swallows on lake
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5
Eastern Bluebird  2
Northern Mockingbird  6     4 at hatchery
European Starling  33     15,8,10
Black-and-white Warbler  1     Ad f- Bird Island
Hooded Warbler  1     multiple calls west end
Northern Parula  6     most males, 1 female, rest by calls
Yellow Warbler  5     2 f yacht club, 2 f, 1 m Bird Island
Pine Warbler  1     call, west end
Yellow-throated Warbler  1     Bird Island
Summer Tanager  2     1 at Bird Island.
Northern Cardinal  11
Indigo Bunting  1     F- Bird Island
Common Grackle  10     gp with somewhat nubby rectrices- Bird Island