[bsg] Feb doldrums are seemingly upon us

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:25:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

 I had a very enjoyable morning birding with newlyweds Dan and Tori O' Malley
of Baton Rouge across portions of Central West Bossier and N-e Caddo
Parishes--- Congratulations y'all!! Although we gave it our best, the birds
weren't quite so cooperative. We had Rusty Blackbird at a few locations. We
also had White-winged Dove at the dead West/N end of Viking, then off old
Brownlee, where we also had a fos Purple Martin male circling (cheers also to
Dave Arbour at Red Slough in S-w Ok on his!!) and small handful of Horned Lark.
We stopped by Rose Neath cemetery briefly near dad's grave. Local suspects were
very active there. Continuing Northward to Deen Point Rd and the former Gray
Flycatcher site, we finally heard a Bewick's Wren sing somewhat distantly 4-6
times but weren't able to sight locate. We left there birding to the W, then
continued over into Caddo on I-220 and N onto La 3049. Try as we might, all of
the few and tiny meadowlark groups we
 happened upon were Eastern. We had an interesting up-close study of Brewer's
Blackbird at the sod farm on Sentell and heard at least one Sandhill Crane
calling distantly there, among notably few other expected spp. Leaving there,
we finished the afternoon together on a brief stop at Ford Park on Cross Lake.
Although we couldn't get any of the numerous Winter Wren that are present there
to give even so much as a short jip, 1-2 Brown Creeper serenaded us from the
wooded pier, including observations of one with a wild, extremely curvy and
extended sally out flycatching for a small moth it had dislodged. One to 2
White-breasted Nuthatch were there, with a female sitting horizontally perched
on a low bladcypress limb for quite some time, then dropping shortly afterward
onto the wooden pier mere feet away from us and staying there for just shy of a
minute. Yes, it was another one of those so-so day for birds- but outstanding
weather and a great day to be out
 for us birders!

Cheers- and COME ON Spring!!

Terry