[bsg] Cross Lake/Shreveport 11/04/12

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:49:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, Charlie Lyon and I made a boat run on Cross Lake from a little after 2
til dark today. Nothing earth-shattering, except possibly the Gadwall count,
but we did have a fairly good day with some migs and new arrivals. Full list to
be posted later. Charlie was also able to get by and view the Calliope on
Stephenson yesterday afternoon. I will be topping off feeders there hopefully
sometime tomorrow.

Gadwall- 1200+. New arrival groups of 450 and 800+ mid-lake and e end. Lots of
Canvasback, too. Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup and N Shoveler in smaller nos.
2500+ Ruddy. New influx and good nos of AMCO but DCCO about the same, according
to Charlie, from yesterday. Pied-billed Grebe rather low today. Group of 46
migrant Am White Pelican observed arriving from high west.

Horned Grebe- 16- mid-lake raft, then single on e end.

Franklin's Gull- 550+. We also collected some 1/3 inch to + dipterans which
were in clouds all across the surface of the lake. These appear to be at least
one of the main food sources that Charlie has observed them foraging after.
They look much like large mosquitoes. I gave them to Jim Ingold who will have a
look at them soon. 100+ Ring-billed Gull, slightly less Forster's and 3 Herring
rounded out the Larids.

Bald Eagle. Ad male and female perched on large dead snag at Bird Island. A
large kettle of 120 TUVU and 50 BLVU on west end. Winter Wren count was good
for the lake run with 8. EAPH, RCKI nos decent, too. Red-breasted Nuthatch- 3
at Fortney Bayou on w end along with 2 loudly calling Barred Owl  There's
probably something else decent I'm forgetting, so more later.

Ronnie Maum reports at least 4 Scissor-tailed Fly remaining at RRNWR
Headquarters today. He also photographed a female Ring-necked Duck that looks
to possibly have a whitish-colored band.

Cheers,

Terry