Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 36.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:57:22 +0100

Newsletter No: 36

Date: 8 July 2008

Eco-Schools

Having recently achieved the Bronze Award the school is moving forward to
achieve the Silver Award early next year.

The following developments have recently taken place:

1.      The opening of the new secure bike shed has been a great success and
most places are now taken up by registered cyclists.  We are hoping to
create enough demand for another shed in the near future.

Over the summer, discussions will be taking place with Lancashire County
Council about providing safe cycle routes to Broad Oak School from
surrounding areas.  We are aware that safety is a major concern in deciding
whether or not to cycle or walk to school and we are looking at various ways
of overcoming problems.  One idea is to start a ?walking bus? scheme which
has been a great success in other schools.

2.      We are looking at the possibility of installing a small solar panel
which will provide enough energy to power the computers and other
audio-visual equipment in the school.  This will not only save money in the
long term but also be a first step in moving towards a fully sustainable
power supply.

If any parents or friends of the school have any further ideas or are
interested in helping us achieve the prestigious Green Flag award, please
give your contact details to the lead Eco-school Governor, via the school
office, who will get in touch with you.

25th Anniversary School Fete ? Birthday week CD orders now being taken

A big thank you to everyone who helped at our School Fete last Saturday and
to all those of you who came along to support us in such inclement weather!
So far we have raised approximately £780.

During our Birthday Week we have had a photographer at the school and we
have made a CD with approximately 200 photographs to mark this occasion.  We
have had requests from parents that they would like to buy a copy of the CD
and in response we are therefore making it available for personal family use
only, as our DVDs at Christmas.  If you would like to have a copy of the CD
please return the order form at the end of this letter.  Thank you.

Whole School Anniversary Photograph

All orders for the school photograph must be received in the school office
no later than 9.00am tomorrow, Wednesday 9 July.

Reminder/Update - Our Summer Production ? ?Dr Who and the Water Fountain!??

This summer the children in our Junior Department are performing ?Dr Who and
the Water Fountain? at the following times:

*       Tuesday 15 July at 2.00pm
*       Wednesday 16 July at 7.00pm

A great many children in Key Stage 2 will be taking part, the lead being
taken by our leavers in Year 6 and joining them our Year 4 musicians and
junior line dancers.

Due to the numbers of children involved and, therefore, the number of
parents who are likely to want to see their children perform, we are
initially restricting tickets for entrance to 2 per family.

If you have young children, you are requested NOT to bring them to the
performances.  You are welcome to come with them to the Dress/Technical
rehearsal on Monday 14 July at 2.00pm, noting that this is a rehearsal and
not a performance. Please return the slip at the bottom of the newsletter by
Wednesday 9 July to guarantee entrance.

Broad Oak Care Club (Broad Oak Services) ? Summer Holiday Club

Details of our Holiday Club have been issued with this newsletter.

Team Points

Last week?s winners ? Chestnut

Superstars! ? Week ended 4 July

Mrs Yale's Class: Adam, Harry, Louis
Mrs Sutton?s Class: Marcus, Sam, Katie, Arjun, Hollie, Daanyaal
Mrs Wilson's Class: Jack, Jack, Joshua

Mrs Barker?s Class: Kirsten, Ashleigh, Adam

Mrs Ashton's Class: Lauren, Rio, Natasha, Lewis, John, Olivia

Mrs Hughes' Class: Floyd, Lauren, Martyn, Krishan, Sally

Mr Bromley?s Class: Luke, Zahra, Leon, Jack, Lauren, Molly, Tom, Katie,
Kirk, Holly, Kirsty, Sophie, Douglas, Robert

School Lunch ? Week 1 Beginning 14 July
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.50 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Roast Pork Loin with Roast Potatoes, gravy or Toasted Panini with choice of
filling & Jacket Wedges, fresh seasonal veg. & crunchy Italian salad.

Beef Casserole with country vegetables & creamed potatoes or Pineapple pizza
with half backed jacket potato, broccoli florets, baked beans.

Fruity Chicken Curry with Rice & Naan Bread or Chip Shop Fish with Thick Cut
Chips, garden peas.

Savoury Pork Pattie on a Wholemeal Bun with Spicy Jacket Wedges or Pasta
Shells in a Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce, Crusty bread, coleslaw & vegetable
sticks

Theme Day

Packed Lunch

Meringue Nests filled with Tropical Fruit

Strawberry rice.

Cheese & Biscuits with a Bunch of Grapes

Jaffa Jelly with Chocolate Mousse

Summer Fruit Crunchy

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

---------------

RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE BY 12.00 NOON ON WEDNESDAY, 9 JULY

JUNIOR PERFORMANCE OF ?DR WHO AND THE WATER FOUNTAIN?

Child?s Name: ______________________________   Class: __________________

I / we would like to reserve the following tickets for the Junior
Performance.  I understand that a ticket will be required for entrance.

Date

Performance

Initial allocation (max 2 tickets)

Further tickets required

Tuesday, 15 July

Afternoon

2..00pm

Wednesday, 16 July

Evening

7.00 pm

---------------

Return to school office by 10.00am, Wednesday 16 July with payment

Broad Oak 25th Anniversary Photograph CD Order Form

I would like _____ (no.) CDs at £4.00 each
Total enclosed: __________________

Child?s name: _________________                                    Class:
____________

Parent signature:______________________                   Date:
________________

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????

Return to the School Office (Mrs Johnson) in an envelope with money by
Friday 11 July at latest

Friday Fun Feast ? Take Away Version

I would like to reserve my child a themed lunch on Friday 18 July.

I have:      [ ] enclosed £1.70 for the lunch    [ ] a free dinner and
confirmed this with the office

Child?s Name: ___________________  Class: ______            Signed:
__________________

(Office use only: Date received: _________________)

BROAD OAK SERVICES (CARE CLUB) ? SUMMER HOLIDAY CLUB

Come along and join our wonderful team - Supervisor Alison and Assistants
Kelly and Charley

for many hours of magical fun.

All days will include many craft activities, games, and outdoor play,
computers, and indoor games. We will also be having Water Games during the
week. (Weather permitting) All trips have limited spaces.

Book early to avoid disappointment.

Cost per day: £14.00 (cost includes all trips and activities)

Booking slips must be returned with payment by Wednesday 16 July.

Depending upon vacancies we may be able to have children from other schools
? this means that your friend / family members outside our school may be
able to come with you!!

All children must be full time primary education.   Please contact Mrs
Naylor (ELC manager for details and registration information).

Week 1:

Monday 28th July - Trip to Worden Park, (don?t forget packed lunch for
Picnic), Craft Activities (Paper mache Mask?s and other activities.

Tuesday 29th July - Fun and games. Cinema Afternoon with popcorn.

Wednesday 30th July - Window Transfers, weather permitting a walk to Hurst
Grange Park.

Thursday 31st July - Summer Holiday Craft Book

Friday 1st August - Bouncy Castle, Peppermint Sweets,

Week 2:

Monday 4th August - Clay/Moon wall hangers

Tuesday 5th August - Cinema Afternoon (popcorn)

Wednesday 6th August - Trip to Formby Beach and Squirrel Sanctuary (Don?t
forget packed lunch)

Thursday 7th August - For the older pupils - Sports Day with Charley.
(Football Competition am and Netball pm) miniature Games for the younger
ones.

Friday 8th August - Building a Tepee?s, BBQ and Cocktails around the camp.

Week 3:

Monday 11th August - Fairground Games, tea light holders. A walk to Hurst
Grange (weather permitting)

Tuesday 12th August - Baking Fairy Cakes, Cinema Afternoon (Popcorn)

Wednesday 13th August - Botanical Gardens Trip (Don?t forget packed lunch)

Thursday 14th August  - Sports Day with Charley including Obstacle race

Friday 15th August - Bouncy Castle, face painting.

Please return to the School Office by Wednesday 16th July.

BROAD OAK SERVICES (CARE CLUB) - HOLIDAY CLUB BOOKING SLIP

Tick days required Thank you
FULL PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WHEN BOOKING

Commencing 28h July ? 1st July 08

Childs Name/Class

Monday

28th

Trip to Leyland Park & Picnic

Tuesday

29th

Wednesday

29th

Thursday

30th

Friday

1st

Commencing 4th Aug ? 8th Aug 08

Childs Name/Class

Monday

4th

Tuesday

5th

Wednesday

6th

Trip to

Formby Park

Thursday

7th

Sports with Charley

Friday

8th

BBQ & Cocktails + Tepee

Commencing 11th Aug ? 15th Aug 08

Childs Name/Class

Monday

11th

Tuesday

12th

Wednesday

13th

Botanical Gardens Trip

Thursday

14th

Sports Day with Charley

Friday

15th

Bouncy castle & Face painting

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.