[Bristol-Birds] three owlets on truck along TN Rt. 394 in Bristol

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 17:32:02 -0500

owls on an oil tanker TN Rt 394.jpg

While driving home from birding late this afternoon, I spotted three owlets
perched

on the tail of a petroleum tanker truck rolling over TN Rt. 394 near the
Bristol Motor

Speedway in Sullivan County.  I was pleasantly surprised.

To my delight, the driver pulled into a delivery stop and I followed.

"Just another person wanting to know about the owls on the back of your big
rig,"

I shouted up to his open cab window.  He crawled down into the lot with a
wide

smile and was proud to share the artwork with me.

"I have people stop and ask about it ever where," he said.  "They love it."

He said the owner of his trucking company has about a dozen or more tankers
on

the road and each has different wildlife art on the tail.

"He is a history buff and a very conscientious  conservationist and
environmental owner."

The truck is in a fleet of about 15 owned by Conestoga Transport out of
Knoxville.  It  is a

company that provides transportation services of petroleum products. The
name Conestoga

has a rich history dating back to the foundation of business in America. In
the late 18th and early 19th

centuries - long before the era of tractor and trailers and before the
development of the railroad

system - Conestoga wagons were the primary vehicles for hauling freight. The
drivers of those wagons

were much like their modern-day counterparts (today's professional truck
driver) - tough, resourceful

and very professional.

The Knoxville fleet, sporting the theme "Tradition With A Vision," has
images of Black Bear, White-tailed

Deer, Mallard,  Bald Eagle, frog, Mr. Ed the horse, Bobwhite and Wild
Turkey.

The driver, with his truck in Bristol, said the most beautiful and his
favorite is the Bobcat.

If you wish you can go to the website link with this post and look thru most
of the animals in

what they call their  Trailer Tails Gallery.  The company has a link where
you can send them a

nomination for the next species they put on a new truck.

http://www.conestogatransport.com/conestoga/trailer-tails.asp

owls on an oil tanker TN Rt 394 side view.jpg

JPEG image

JPEG image