[Bristol-Birds] saturday coyote hunting

  • From: "Todd Perkins" <bigun_75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:45:35 -0500

Area Birders,

This year for Christmas, I got a Johnny Stewart Preymaster. Its the new
e-caller from Hunters' Specialties. I must say that it is a really good,
clearsounding, lightweight unit.

So Saturday, I went to my uncle's farm in dickenson county to try it out.
At my first setup, a coopers hawk watched me get setup. He wasnt afraid for
some reason. He sat there on a log and watched me, but when I sit down, he
flew. I never knew he was there untill he flew.  So i began to use the call,
the desperate cottontail recording. A few minutes later the coopers flew
back, looking for the rabbit. After he realized that it wasn't there he
left.  About 15 minutes later, a red shouldered hawk flew in to the call.
This time i was using the flicker in distress recording.  He stayed about
the same amount of time the coopers did.

Then I went out to the strip job. I set up, waited a few minutes, and began
to use the desperate cottontail again.  Not more than five seconds after
that, crows came in. They began circling, cawing and making all kinds of
noise and ruccous.  I never knew that an imaginary rabbit could tear a
crow's nerves up so bad.

I didn't call up any coyotes, bobcats or foxes Saturday. But the preymaster
shure did a good job of bringing in the hawks and crows.

Todd Perkins

and Cumberland Nature Club.