[Bristol-Birds] purple vs house finches

  • From: "Bruce J. Turner" <fishgen@xxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:24:05 -0500

property in the Briarwood section of Johnson City.  No matter what the
feedsers contain, saflower seeds, oil sunflower, etc., the most aggressive
and persistent visitors are a group of about 12 house finches, including
two males in orange plumage.  In early October, however, I noticed that
among them were two large pairs of purple finches (the males were
recognizable by their clear belly areas and a color that was more reddish
purple than orange).  They stayed for about a week, and then were gone.  I
lived in Town Acres since 1986 before moving to my present home in August
of this year (for those of you that know the area, I lived in the large
brick contemporary at the corner of Rambling Rd and Camelot Circle).    I
often had as many as 5 feeders up on this property, and while I saw dozens
of house finches, in all the years I was there I never saw a single purple
finch... . I know the purple finch well, because I teach at VaTech and the
trees in front of Derring Hall are sometimes filled with them (few or no
house finches, at least as yet), and I'm fairly sure I would have
recognized one if it appeared at my previous home in Johnson City.  I
suspect (based solely on anecdotal evidence) that house finch is gradually
outcompeting the purple finch for lebensraum in Johnson City area.
Certainly they seem more aggressive at feeders (I've seen a group of them
frighten off a male redbellied woodpecker that must have been 2.5 times
their size).

By the way, also at my feeders is a very large male rufous-sided towhee.  I
realize that this is a common species, but I have never seen one eating at
a sunflower seed feeder before---I've encountered them solely in the woods.
Live and learn...

                                        Bruce J. Turner
                                        Assoc. Professor of Biology
                                        VPISU, Blacksburg, VA 24061
                                        (540)-231-7444
                                        fishgen@xxxxxx

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958