[Bristol-Birds] photo of North Fork Holston River nest made available

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Bird Club'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:46:23 -0400

BAEA North Fork Holston River nest April 2014 from J Meade.jpg

Earlier this spring, we heard from the rumor mill that a Bald Eagle's nest
had been discovered on the North Fork

Holston River in Scott Co., VA.   While such reports surface in many areas
across Northeast Tennessee and

Southwest Virginia each year, they seldom have enough basis they can be
found and studied by our amateur

ornithologists and others.  We set out with the objectives to discover all
we could about that report and what

substantial information might be available.  It was soon apparent that
someone had a photo and at least one

or more persons could tell us where or show us where the nest is.  Repeated
efforts to locate and get to the

nest did not materialized.  Finally we had it narrowed down to a single
landowner.  Jennifer Meade, one of our

truly skilled and experienced Bald Eagle photographers, nest hunters and
local field persons, was able to acquire

a copy of the elusive nest photo which is shown above.  The bird in the
upper right corner is an apparent adult

Bald Eagle.  This photo was taken in mid to early April at the latest.  We
have a chain of evidence ownership to

this photo but, at this time, it is necessary to be very careful and protect
those who are working with us including

residents who live along the river and those natives of the area who live
elsewhere and are providing us amazing

 resources and access.  In this greater group of helpers are people who have
decades of family relationships, careers,

childhood friendships and a common threads that run strong to weave a fabric
of land,  river and private property.

We strive hard to walk, boat and paddle carefully upon everyone's lives and
sensitivity to protect all that they

hold so close to their families, lives and hearts.  Not everyone sees
everything the same way but the focus being

fostered is becoming increasingly more narrowly pointed to the nest.  Thanks
to everyone for the success we

are bringing to a better understanding of our natural resources, its
management and conservation in general.

Wallace Coffey

Bristol Bird Club

Bristol, TN