[Bristol-Birds] new Elizabethton Yellow-crowned Night-Heron nest

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 23:15:59 EDT

SUN 01 MAY 2005
Blackbottom Shoals, Elizabethton, Carter County, TN
D. Holt

Dianne Draper and I checked on the three Yellow-cr. Night-Heron nests on city
property behind the sewage treatment plant.  From now on, for lack of a
better name, I will refer to this area as Blackbottom Shoals.  We found a bird
on
each of the three nests, sitting tight and laying low.  We also found a fourth
bird just starting a new nest, increasing the number of known active nest
sites in Elizabethton (including the Sycamore Shoals nest) from four to five.
     We also saw a Red-shouldered Hawk again, who seemed to me to watch us
closely as we left, repositioning once to get a better view of us.  I suspect a
nearby nest.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN