[Bristol-Birds] message posted about ravens Bristol Birds April 2005

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:54:30 -0500

From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:09:59 -040Area Birders:

Ken Ranck, who lives just east of Bridgewater, VA in Rockingham County, says
that eggs are beginning to hatch in a Common Raven nest on a railroad bridge
near his house in the vicinity of Mt. Crawford.  This is along I-81, about 250
miles northeast of the Virginia-Tennessee border.

We should keep our eyes open for any Common Raven seen in our region.  Do not
be thinking only about nests on cliff faces.  Be thinking the possibility of a
raven's nest anywhere.  Raven's nests have been found on other structures.

Be thinking nesting at any elevation in our region.  Fifteen years ago we were
mainly thinking high elevation cliffs.  Years before that we mainly thought
5000 feet.

Don't forget that raven's nests were found in trees on Burns Creek in the
Jefferson National Forest at Coeburn in Wise County in 1986 and 1987.   So
think about finding a nest in a tree near your house.

Ravens have been found nesting as low as 1320 feet elevation in Sullivan County
not far from Boone Dam.  That is the lowest elevation site on record in
Tennessee.

Raven's nests, throughout the region, have had eggs since about March 16 so
many should have hatched or be hatching. This means any adults could be flying
to and from nesting locations.  Maybe very near a nest.  I have watched a raven
gather food from a bog in Shady Valley and fly off a mile or two into the
mountains.  So they can forage for nestling food over a long distance (I think).

So let's be thinking more outside the box and on a wider regional scale.  You
have a much better chance of finding a good bird record when you are looking
for it ;-)

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol