[Bristol-Birds] merlins at oak hill cemetert

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:02:10 -0500

I made a swing thru Oak HIll Cemetery in Kingsport late this afternoon (Feb 8)
in hopes of getting some closeup video of a Merlin at sunset.  I got there
around 5:00pm and less than 10 minutes later a Merlin flew in and perched in
the top of his regular Spruce Tree.  I set up the scope and video camera and
was getting some beautiful footage in the late afternoon sunlight.  I felt
"blessed" as Don Holt described his recent viewing of a sunset Merlin...then
wait... I was to be double blessed as another Merlin flew in displacing the
first and carrying the remains of some mostly eaten bird in one talon.  I stood
there taking video of one Merlin then another as they sat basking in that late
orange light.  What a day, and such a nice place to take video or photos.  Nice
and quiet with no cars flying by on the roadside to worry about.  Someone with
a digital slr should make a trip over there before the birds leave and get some
great shots at sunset (ahemmm...Don).  I'll post a link to a video clip after I
get it off the camera and edited.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Sullivan Co., TN