[bristol-birds] mail problem Bristol Birds

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 23:19:19 -0300

Birstol Birders:

I am shutting down the Bristol Birds listserver for
a few days until we can once again be sure we are
free of any intruders or viruses.

You received a message on Bristol Birds Net earlier
today that had the subject line of "Spice Girls' vocal
concert".  That message is a virus and carries my
e-mail address but may not have come directly
from my machine.

This is an intruder who has become successful in
broadcasting a message to the Bristol Birds Net
and has been able to capture my e-mail address in
doing so.

I have been fighting this attempt to TN-Birds for
about three or four weeks and have been successful.
Efforts to get through to the Bristol Birds Net have
been going on for about a week or two and those
have been successful up to this point.

What happens is that the intruder sends two to five
messages per day to the listserver and the server
has identified that it is not coming from a subscriber
to the bird list.  It forwards that message to my
computer for me to approve.  I have to give the
message a forward back to the listserver in order
for a non-subscriber to post.  I usually don't do that
and simply delete those messages.

This one may have accidentually been forward back
to the listserver by me but I can find no record or
trace of that from my computer.

If you will notice, every message you have ever seen
me send to TN-Birds or Bristol Birds all carry my
name and address in the sender line as:
"Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>"

However, the intruder has been successful in getting
the listserver to pass a message to the list using:
"jwcoffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>"

You will notice the use of simply jwcoffey as my
name in the "Spice Girl's" message heading.

If you see a message to the net that comes from
"Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>"
that is me sending a message to the net.

If you see a message to the net that comes from
"jwcoffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
that is the intruder.

Check the names on messages coming from me
if you don't want to be opening messages that are
being sent by the intruder.

Also, I have checked throughout my computer and
can find no evidence that any of my e-mail programs
sent that message listed as "jwcoffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>

None of my e-mail programs have the ability to
simply identify me as "jwcoffey"  all have me set
up to be identified as "Wallace Coffey".

We are ok and so are you.

I will shut the system down to all posting until the
listserver company or I can find a way to stop the
unwanted intruder from posting.

I am sorry that you have had the intruder invade your
Bristol Birds Net and cause you any inconvenience.

Wallace Coffey
Owner
Bristol Birds Net

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958