[Bristol-Birds] hummingbird backyard population shifts

  • From: Katherine Noblet <ednkan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:55:24 -0400

Recently, the immature male hummers that have dominated  my yard have been
replaced with mature females.  Interesting?

Pictures attached are of the Main Mama running things late this afternoon in
the rain.
(Rain drops keep fallin' on my head; I'm not listening; I drinkith with
forked tongue &shake it off!)

I think I have no warblers in the back yard lately because the hummers chase
EVERYONE out!  I watched a hummer chase a dove clear out of my yard and over
the top of the neighbor's house.  I have watched them chase chickadees;
cardinals; redstarts and dive bomb a Cooper's hawk for a half an hour!

K. Noblet Johnson City Carter Co.