[Bristol-Birds] finches

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:52:47 -0500

The following message was sent to the net by Todd Eastin who
is having trouble posting.... I am sending it on his behalf......Wallace Coffey
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * *

We have a pear tree that sits at the corner of our elevated deck on =
which and from which I feed the birds.  This tree is often the staging =
area for the various birds before forays to the feeding stations.  In =
the case of titmice, chickadees, and nuthatches, they often use it for =
perching while opening sunflower seeds they have taken from deck.  It =
also provides additional space for perching while contemplating whether =
to rest, feed, or fly.  And It's certainly been an asset to my birding =
by providing abundant perches for casual observation of whatever decides =
to linger.

Just now (10:45 AM, Feb. 18) I saw 18 purple finches and about 30 pine =
siskins perched throughout.  What a treat! =20

Todd Eastin
from 3,100' on Marriage Ground Ridge
Shady Valley (Johnson Co.), TN