[Bristol-Birds] discovery of a Brown-headed Nuthatch in Hawkins Co, TN in 2014

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 22:41:34 -0500

One, of our birders has passed along a discovery that a Brown-headed
Nuthatch

sighting was posted to eBird at a location about 30min west of Kingsport,TN

for 16 Feb 2014.  This record has not come to any of our active birder's

attention, as far as I am aware.  The post was made by a Chris Ketron who
reported

having three (3) at his feeder during an observation time of about 15
minutes.

He noted that he has 5 bird feeders and 2 thistle socks for the finches at
his

observation location.  He lives on Stanley Valley Rd. about three miles NW
of Church Hill

and NW of W Carters Valley Rd.  The birds were seen in Hawkins County, TN.
We

will make an effort to contact the birder and make sure if this seems to be

well-posted observation.  A similar bird, reported in Kingsport a year ago,
turned out

to be where a birder had field notes that the bird was a Brown-headed
Cowbird

but it was accidentally keyed to a Brown-headed Nuthatch.  That post was
corrected.

I had to hunt the birder and his wife down at their home to determine that

problem of which they were not aware.  We'll keep you posted.