[Bristol-Birds] bear on a rooftop, havoc with bird feeders

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:41:40 -0500

This message arrived from a friend of mine who is a professional biologist
living in
Northern Virginia.  He is subscribed to Bristol Birds Net.  Read on.  You will
not
only be better informed about the magnitude of bear problems but also
how they relate to bird feeders, backyard habitat and people's lives in
general:
"And not just in SW Virginia, but also in ne Virginia, suburbs.  In Aldie,
Loudoun Co., where I live, 38 miles from DC, we have a bear or bears for
several winters wrecking great havoc with bird feeders (when the deer do not).
The one this year, pretty big I guess as it was taking down feeders more than
10ft up, I recently discovered had been spending some time on my roof, eating
privet berries, from large bushes bordering my house.  I discovered this when
my sister and her son were cutting back branches of said trees and found a line
of bear poop along the ridgeline of my house.  I have heard turkeys from my
back yard and once had a female at my feeder as well as a herd of some 7 deer
in my less than an acre backyard.  I have followed your posts with interest as
I am much in the same situation as the folks down your way."

Let's go birding . . . .