[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-rumped Warbler - Grayson Highlands S.P., Virginia

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:27:38 -0400

Bristol Birders,

Michelle and I decided to try some high altitude birding yesterday on our
way back from Claytor Lake.  We had never hiked on Haw Orchard Mt. (5,089
ft.), the 3rd highest peak in Virginia, so we made our way to Grayson
Highlands State Park in Grayson County, VA.  As soon as we got out of the
car Michelle spotted a Black-capped Chickadee - later we found several
Carolina Chickadees along with a bird of questionable heritage.  The trail
along the top of Haw Orchard Mt. is a very easy 2-mile loop from the
Visitors Center and the views from both Big and Little Pinnacles is
fantastic.  Juncos, Blue-headed Vireos and Veeries were at every turn in
the trail and we spotted two Magnolia Warblers during the hike.  We also
spotted Golden-crowned Kinglets, Red-breasted Nuthatches, and
Black-throated Green Warblers.  The big surprise of the day was a male
Yellow-rumped Warbler in breeding plumage singing from the top of a spruce
tree that we overlooked from one of the rocky outcrops.  Unfortunately I
was not carrying my video camera due to threatening clouds in the area.
Wallace, do you have the status of summer Yellow-rumped Warblers in the
Grayson Highlands area?  I know they are found on Roan Mt. in June and Mike
Boatwright found two on Whitetop on June 28, 2004.  Thanks.

We also made a quick unsuccessful trip up Whitetop to look for Red
Crossbills.  We did find a Magnolia and Canada Warbler along with a couple
of Red-breasted Nuthatches.  We stopped at Whitetop Station to look for the
Alder Flycatcher (I could not remember where they had been seen) but did
not find one - just a very cooperative singing Least Flycatcher.

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club
Grundy, Virginia