[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher banded in Bristol

  • From: Richard Lewis <mountainbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 22:04:25 -0400

I banded a hatching year Yellow-bellied Flycatcher today at my house in
Bristol.  Identifying one in the field is a difficult task.  Identifying
one in hand can be a challenge too.   There are a lot of overlap between
this species and the Acadian Flycatcher, which can be very yellow in the
fall.  Wing and tail length were within an overlap area between the 2
species.   However, the length of primary feather number 6, the mouth color
and the length and width of the bill were exclusively characteristic of the
Yellow-bellied.     The extent of the yellowish wash underneath and the
gray legs also pointed to Yellow-bellied.   The prominent yellowish almond
shaped eye ring are characteristic of the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher too.

Richard Lewis

Bristol, TN

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 2]