[Bristol-Birds] Wrens and Kinglets

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:09:12 -0500

Area Birders,
Ed Talbott, vice president of the Buchanan County Bird Club, and I, Roger
Mayhorn, birded an overgrown strip site near Compton Mountain this morning
and had a total of 24 species. It was a day for wrens and kinglets with 7
CAROLINA WRENS, 3 WINTER WRENS, and 12 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS. The
highlight of the morning was when one of the Winter Wrens began to sing.
It's not something we hear very often in our area.
A FOX SPARROW was our most unusual sparrow of the day, and a YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER was the least common of the woodpeckers seen.
We heard a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK in the distance. We also came across 5 WILD
TURKEYS, and flushed 2 RUFFED GROUSE.

The small adult SHARP-SHINNED HAWK that I reported on the 22nd. was back at
my feeder again this morning giving the smaller birds fits. Finally 3 Tufted
Titmice came out and harassed him until he gave up and flew away.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Following is the complete list for today:

American Crow  16
American Goldfinch  3
Carolina Chickadee  6
Carolina Wren  7
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Downy Woodpecker  2 (at least one male)
Fox Sparrow  1
House Finch  2
House Sparrows  2 (1 male, 1 female)
Golden-crowned Kinglet  12
Mourning Dove  1
Northern Cardinal 3 (2 males, 1 female)
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Ruffed Grouse  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 (male)
Song Sparrow 5
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-throated Sparrow  3
Wild Turkey  5
Winter Wren  3  (1 singing)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958