[Bristol-Birds] White-winged Scoter- Musick's Campground

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:39:32 -0400

An early White-winged Scoter  was seen at South Holston Lake from Musick's
Campground late this evening (Sunday).

The bird was found by Ruth Smith, Janice Martin, Rack Cross and Wallace
Coffey.  It was keeping company with a small raft of grebes and coots.

Nearby were Lesser Scaup 9, American Coot 6, Eared Grebe 7, Common Loon 2,
Ring-billed Gull 1, Pied-billed Grebe ~12, Mallards ~25 and Canada Goose ~105.

The scoter was found in the last hour before dark and was originally
determined to be in Sullivan Co., TN before moving close to shore in
Washington Co., VA. at nightfall.

Janice and Ruth spotted my car pulled into the edge of a good sparrow field
just off Pemberton Oak Road.  Rack and I found them walking into the field
to join us as we were coming down a long hill from birding the nice habitat.
They joined us to search the weedy area which turned up White-throated
Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, Field Sparrows, American Goldfinch,
Carolina Wren, Mockingbirds, Song Sparrows, Northern Cardinals, Palm Warbler
and Yellow-rumped Warbler.  Later at PowerLine Farms we had a flock of about
a dozen or more Cedar Waxwings flying over and we later had two small flocks
of Chipping Sparrows.

Rack and I had birded Crumley Pond off Paddle Creek Road not far from the
South Fork Holston River earlier in the afternoon and found 2 American Coot.

I noticed that Janice has already posted to TN-Birds the Buffleheads she and
Ruth  found around South Holston Dam  in the right channel.  As far as I
know those are the first of this species for the fall.  Two females were
swimming and dipping in the warm sunlight.  They also enjoyed watching the
Mute Swan above the weirs.

It was a beautiful fall day and great birding weather.

Let's go birding....

and Cumberland Nature Club.