[Bristol-Birds] White-eyed Vireo, Broad-winged Hawk, Cooper's

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:18:22 -0400

Area Birders,
On this bright sunny morning, with TOWHEES, CHIPPING SPARROWS, ROBINS,
BLUEBIRDS and CARDINALS all singing, I heard the first of the season WHITE-EYED
VIREO in a tree in the neighbor's pasture. I had to stop and try to filter the
sound out of all of the other songs. Two Cardinals were singing practically
overhead, and they were drowning out the distant vireo song. I finally managed
to catch the song a couple of times between the Cardinal songs and verified
that it was the White-eyed.
A few minutes later I watched a BROAD-WINGED HAWK circle upward from a nearby
ridge. It really stood out against the blue sky with the crisp sunlight
bringing out its color as it finally headed eastward. About five minutes later
I saw another BROAD-WINGED, or possibly the same one, also headed eastward at
about the same altitude.
A couple of hours later my wife saw the adult COOPER'S HAWK, that has been
visiting the feeder recently. It came in to the tree with the feeders, looked
around, dropped to the ground, went under an azalea bush, came out, flew to the
yard pond, took a drink, then flew off into the woods empty taloned. Too bad it
didn't get one of the many COWBIRDS, that are coming in to feed.
Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt
Buchanan County