[Bristol-Birds] White Ibis, shorebirds, etc. (Cocke, Hamblen Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

August 15, 2009
[posting date: August 16, 2009]

Upper Douglas Lake--Rankin Bottoms in Cocke County (C), mouth of Nolichucky
River and immediate vicinity in Hamblen County (H)

Observers, in motorized canoe: Leslie Gibbens, Don Miller, Michael Sledjeski

As reported earlier by Troy Evans, shorebird habitat was scarce in the area.
The lake has yet to recede enough to expose significant mudflats. We examined
the flats along the Hamblen County shore of the Nolichucky River, the area
along the Holttown Road section of Rankin Bottoms in Cocke County, and the area
around the gate at the end of the road leading upstream from the tipple, also
at Rankin Bottoms.

Highlights were:

Canada Goose (98 C, 16 H)
Wood Duck (53 C, H)
Double-crested Cormorant (46 C, 9 H)
Great Blue Heron (12 C, 6 H)
Great Egret (88 C, 30 H)
Little Blue Heron (immature H)
Green Heron (11 C, 7 H)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (6 C, 2 H)
White Ibis (7 juveniles C, H; there may have been more, but we could safely
conclude a total of only 7)
Osprey (7 C, H, including 1 along Highway 25-E at Dutch Bottoms)
Bald Eagle (C)
Killdeer (21 C, 82 H)
Spotted Sandpiper (9 C, 3 H)
Lesser Yellowlegs (C)
Solitary Sandpiper (6 H)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (at least 1 C, at least 5 H)
Least Sandpiper (at least 1 C, at least 4 H)
Pectoral Sandpiper (at least 4 H)
Stilt Sandpiper (2 H)
Eastern Screech-Owl (at dusk C)
Red-headed Woodpecker (C)