[Bristol-Birds] Weaver's Bend 03-22-08

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:33:57 -0400

In preparation for the upcoming Mtn. Empire Butterfly Club field trip scheduled for next Saturday, Dianne Draper and I scouted Weaver's Bend in Cocke Co., TN this afternoon, Saturday, March 22, 2008, for early birds, butterflies and wildflowers. It was a bit breezy at times, sunny, and temperatures in the mid- sixties all afternoon. We found many wonderful things on this third day of Spring.

Golden Eagle ( 1 juv., with white wing patches)
Wild Turkeys (incl. displaying male)
Blue-headed Vireos (one seen and one heard)

Broad-headed Skink juv. - Looks like the other blue-tailed juvenile skink species, but this one seemed quite at home climbing a tree trunk over thirty feet up.

Spring Peepers calling
Wood Frog eggs in puddles

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 1
West Virginia White - 3
Falcate Orangetip - 1
Spring Azure - 13
American Snout - 1
Eastern Comma - 3
anglewing spp. - 3

Sharp-leaf Hepatica
Coltsfoot
Bloodroot
Star Chickweed

If you are interested in joining us for the field trip on Sat., 29 MAR 2008, we will meet at 10 am at Bob Evans Restaurant at the Boones Creek Exit (Exit 17) of I-26 for brunch before carpooling to Weaver's Bend for the afternoon. Birders on the Bristol and Greeneville Bird Clubs' field trip in Greene Co. that same day are welcome to join up with us during or after their activities. I had pretty good cell phone reception at Weavers Bend today, so feel free to call me before or during the trip. My cell # is (423) 483-0470.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN