[Bristol-Birds] We have a hatch on the Holston: join us for an Evening with the Eaglets

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:02:06 -0400

If we have our eagles in a row, then all of the known eagles' nest
in this region are probably hatched.

At least we have clear reason to be assured that the South Fork
Holston River eaglets have popped their shells.

Today I watched the male perch peacefully on a limb above the
nest and watch it intently.

Nearby the female was a couple of hundred yards away perched
alertly in their staging tree from which they often fly to the nest.

About 4:30 p.m., the female made a near vertical drop behind a
hill into the grass near her perch.  She came back into view
a few minutes later well into the air and approaching the nest
with one long tarsus dangling low and something clutched in
her talons.  She arrived on the nest and laid it down.

The male left his perch and flew maybe 30 feet to a lower
branch in an a adjacent tree and remained perched.

She was attentive at the nest but I did not see her tear morsels
of food from the prey or feed herself.  Shortly, she settled down
well to one side of the nest and sat very high.  Her head could
be seen from a great distance rather than when she was in her
incubating posture and mostly out of sight.

A few days ago, fishermen reported seeing one of the eagles
turn its attention to a passing bird.  It left its perch and climbed
skyward to make a catch.  Then it soared back to the nest to
leave its catch.

The Bristol Bird Club has made arrangements to rent a very
near, large, modern rental house for fishermen.  It is
exceedingly spacious, large outdoor concrete pad and deck.
Abundant parking. The gorgeous river vista is worth it all.

We hope to have an Evening with Eaglets gathering at the
river to watch and enjoy the eagles and young for a few hours.
Details are in the making.  It looks like we'll ask anyone who
comes to bring cookies, candy, chips, whatever dessert or
finger food that meets their fancy.  There will be no major setup
except BBC will provide the drinks and cups and maybe plates,
napkins and trash bags.

We'll probably get officially underway about 3 p.m. and stay
until momma eagle puts her nest to sleep at dark.  You kind
of got the picture.

You will need a warm sweater or coat and a folding chair.  We
will not otherwise have picnic tables etc. for those who do not
want to stand all evening.

This should be a great early-spring gathering for the club and
all of our birding friends from over the region.  Come bring the
family and enjoy Northeast Tennessee's first known eagle nest.

We will know more when the owner finds us a very-soon
open date.  We hope that will be a Saturday.  Here is what you
can do.  Send us some feedback and let us know if there is enough
interest out there to continue with the arrangements, spending time
on this and the club covering the cost.  Your responses will probably
determine if this is a go.

You do not have to be a member of our bird club or an experienced
birder to come and enjoy our fellowship and feathered friends.

Let's go birding ......