[Bristol-Birds] Water areas--Washington and Sullivan Counties

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:57:32 -0500

Gil Derouen, Reece Jamerson, and I birded several waterfowl areas in Washington
and Sullivan Counties today.  We crossed paths with Rick Knight and found that
we had checked some of the same areas, but at different times and with somewhat
different birds or numbers present.  A representative list of our observations
follows:

Austin Springs
Snow Geese     4,   one white adult and three immature blue
Wild Turkey        30,  on Austin Springs road between Oakland Road and the
bridge
Great Blue Heron          1
Killdeer                         5
Kingfisher                      1

Paddle Creek
Great Blue Heron           1
Wigeon                          2
Pied-billed Grebe           1
Coot                              5
Kingfisher                      1

Weir Dam
Wigeon                          5
Bufflehead                     45
Great Blue Heron            1
Kingfisher                       1

Rooty Branch Rd., Pond, and Pemberton Rd.
Red-shouldered Hawk       1
Am. Kestrel                       2
Great Blue Heron               1
Kingfisher                           1

Colebrook Rd.
White-crowned Sparrow             6

Pond on Hwy 44 just north of Darters
Green-winged Teal                      8

Musick's Campground
Common Loon                            3
Horned Grebe                             2
Pied-billed Grebe                        5
Lesser Scaup                              9
Great Blue Heron                         2
Ring-billed Gull                            1
White-crowned Sparrow              2

Middlebrook Lake
Black Duck                               3
Ring-necked Duck                    37
Hooded Merganser                  200
Pied-billed Grebe                       2
Ruddy Duck                               3
Coot                                         16
Great Blue Heron                       3
Cooper's Hawk                         1
Red-tailed Hawk                       1
Kingfisher                                  1

Roy Knispel
Johnson City