[Bristol-Birds] Two Great Blues

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:28:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Saturday, I spooked a Great Blue Heron out of the fish pond when I stepped,
unexpectedly from the heron's point of view, out of the house.

Not thinking much of it, I remained outside for about 10 minutes when the heron
returned, or so I thought. It dropped in from a direction opposite of where it
had left and began immediately scouting the edges of the pond for an easy meal.

I still figured it had just circled back to the pond... UNTIL another Great
Blue (presumably the first bird) flew over. And that bird came from the
direction in which the first one had flown to escape my intrusion.

A Great Blue visit in summer is not too out of the ordinary, but I figured a
visit by two herons might be worth taking the time to post a short sighting
announcement.

It is the time of year when the waders get restless.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN