[Bristol-Birds] Tropical Storm Isaac first monitored storm for birds this season.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:21:40 -0400

We are now monitoring the tropical storm Isaac as an event affecting
the Atlantic and Gulf and possibly creating a slight opportunity to deliver
storm-driven birds inland. There is potential for Isaac to become a
large tropical cyclone, with far-reaching impacts (large wind fields)
similar to other large tropical cyclones.  If it turns into a hurricane,
wind fields may reach our area.  This could bring good storm
driven coastal birds into Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Next week, critical track and timing uncertainties increase (along with
the inherent intensity uncertainty which is notorious with tropical cyclones).
Notwithstanding that, with a high probability of the southeast United States
being affected and folks in nearby areas including the central Gulf Coast
and Atlantic coast. We'll stay abreast of the latest forecast trends.
This is the first storm we have tracked for birding purposes this hurricane
season.  While it does not hold promise of giving us a good kick and bringing
down a great region-wide fallout of pelagics, waders, coastal species and
the likes, we do track such tropical developments when they show any
possible signs of landfall in the southeastern coastal areas.  We've enjoyed
some great fallouts and storm driven birds with a number of hurricanes in
recent years so we know what can possibly be in the cards.  Think
14 Red Knots at South Holston Lake Sept 2004 along with Sooty Tern; Royal
Tern Sept 1989 at Watauga Lake as well as Pomarine Jaeger and Parasitic
Jaeger there.  Just a little something to hold your attention :)  As the
possible
wind bands move inland, we will organize for more systematic monitoring of
major water areas if it is imminent that storm bands will cross us.  We now
have almost 15 years of watching hurricanes for storm birds since Hugo
made enormous landfall at Charleston SC in mid Sept 1989.  Our first
detection of hurricane-driven birds in the area was early Sept 1964 when
Hurricane Cleo blew 130 Caspian Terns into Boone Lake.

JPEG image