[Bristol-Birds] Tickler Site list for Isabel storm coverage

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:19:10 -0400

Bristol Area Birders:
I write this just a couple of hours away from Hurricane Isabel's landfall off
the North Caorlina, Virginia coast.

Our best chance of coverage and finding wind-blown birds should come right
after daybreak on Friday until mid-afternoon for any of you who can get out and
look.  Maybe there is some possibility before nightfall today (Thursday).

This is such a large storm that wind circulation will be coming into much of
Southwest Virginia, particularly east of I-81 and mostly north and northeast of
Wytheville.

Still there will be influence in a much more broad area from Bluefield, VA to
Greeneville, TN.

I think the priority coverage area is for anything in the Upper Tennessee River
Drainage and the New River Drainage.

If any of you have time to go afield Friday to check for storm-driven birds, I
would suggest areas closer to the Appalachian Mountains and the various Blue
Ridge chains which make up that area.

I am listing some primary coveager areas and those of lesser importance to
tickel your thinker about where the possibilities might be.

In Virginia the highest priorities would be:  all of the New River from the
Shot Tower on I-77 south to at least Fries and certainly incuding Claytor Lake.
 Rural Retreat Lake east of I-81 at Rural Retreat is a MUST!  Beartree Lake on
US. 58 north of Damascus would be a good quick check.  Hungry Mother State Park
Lake at Marion is a must.  South Holston Lake from Musick's Campground north to
Avens Bridge and Alvarado would be good. Clear Creek Lake at Wallace near Ext.
7 of I-81 Bristol,  Lake  Laurel at Low Gap on I-77 south of Lamburg, VA near
the Blue Ridge Parkway should be good.  North of I-81 along the New River
towards Parrot and over into West Virginia at Bluestone are all reasonable
possibilities.

In Tennessee the highest priorities would be:  Wilbur Lake,  Watauga Lake
(especially in Roan Creek and Elk River off US 321).   Ripshin Lake in Carter
Co. is worth a look.  All of South Holston Lake (especially Musick's Campground
and from the dam overlook),  the Weir Dam,  Middlebrook Lake and Steele Creek
Park Lake at Bristol,  Boone Lake (especially Austin Springs).

Secondary importance but worth checking in Southwest Virginia should be:  The
five Saltponds in Saltville and the ponds near there on Henrytown Rd. if you
can see in there.  Laurel Bed Lake on the Clinch Mountain WMA, Gose Mill Pond
and Station Spring Pond (new lake) both in Burke's Garden.  All of the Brush
Creek Structure Dams between Bluefield and Greenwood (most important structures
14, 15,19 as possible). Falls Mill Dam on St. Rt. 643 west of Bluefield and the
ponds at Rosedale and Elk Garden Mill Pond in Russell County.  Hidden Valley
Lake on Brumley Mountain, the Levisa Fork River drainage, North Fork Pound
Reservoir, Flannagan Dam,.  OF LESSER IMPORTANCE= White Oak Creek Dam, Bark
Camp Lake, Big Cherry Reservoir at Big Stone, Upper Norton Dam reservoirs, Bear
Creek Dam at Wise.

Tennessee waters on the extreme fringe should be:  Rankin Bottom (but not a bad
bet), Davy Crockett Lake at Greeneville.  Greeneville Water Supply near
Alexander Mill and the Nolichucky River,   Ripley Island and Cane Island SE of
Afton,   Fairview Pond in Washington Co., Bays Mountain Lake at Kingsport and
the Netherlands Inn Riverfront in Kingsport as well as Patrick Henry Lake.

I am sure many of you have your favorite small ponds like the Veterans Center
at Johnson City or  Great Lakes ponds north of Elizabethton or maybe the
Creeper Trailhead Pond, Crabtree Pond at Abingdon and Green Spring Pond of VA.
75 east of Avens Bridge and South Holston Lake.

Whatever you like, go birding if you can and check out any body of water you
can take a minute to scan.

And post what you find on Bristol Birds Net.

Let's go birding....

and Cumberland Nature Club.