[Bristol-Birds] Re: The Rankin WMA Ruff and Buffy Report, 29-30 Aug 2011

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:22:51 -0400

For anyone interested in shorebird viewing from land at Rankin Bottoms, today
through Labor Day weekend will be optimal. By the following weekend, unless
there's very heavy rainfall in the mountains, feeding habitat will be much
better downriver, past the RR trestle.  Viewing is possible from Leadvale Rd.,
but very limited.  For paddling at lake levels below 980  ft. (see
http://www.tva.gov/lakes/dgh_r.htm   for lake elevation), we launch past the
coal tipple on the RR side or from the Leadvale boat launch.

The very thorough surveys by Scott Somershoe and Rick Knight, especially,
underscore the unique importance of upper Douglas Lake for migratory
shorebirds, and waterbirds in general.
I generally get over there for about 3 hours a week, then wonder what I'm
missing the rest of the time.

Boundary clarification:  most of the birds reported were actually not within
the Rankin WMA, but on private land.  The former RR bed is the north-south
property line, from the bridge abutment across from Leadvale to the track
running eastward from a corner approximately near the RR crossing near the WMA
entrance, at the end of the paved road.

Additions to the posts for yesterday:

Leslie & I saw 3 American Golden Plovers, in separate locations.
Also, I'm inclined to call the Dowitcher in the photo a Long-billed, based on
the bars on the sides of the breast, but I realize that classifying dowitchers
is like interpreting tea leaves.
If it's a Long-billed, 8/30 is an early date for Douglas Lake.  Three more
images starting at:
http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137683862

JPEG image