[Bristol-Birds] The First American Golden-Plover Recorded in Hamblen/Grainger County in 2005.

  • From: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:59:21 -0400

Birders: ( The First American Golden or Lesser Plover Recorded in Hamblen /
Grainger County in 2005 )

Here an information on the American Golden-Plover that I got from Don Miller
last that the Tn-Birders and the Bristol-Birders would enjoy.

Shane,

I'm currently working on a project on the birds of Greene, Cocke, Hamblen,
Jefferson, Grainger, and Hawkins Counties.  In doing this, I'm slowly going
through 75 years' worth of bird records.  So far, I haven't found any
golden-plover records for Hamblen or Grainger County.

Sometimes it's hard to identify birds from photographs because there are so
many important clues that photographs can't capture.  Your photos appear to me
to be American Golden-Plover.  Your record would be either the first or one of
only a very few.  You found a great bird.

The photo you sent is an adult molting from breeding plumage into winter
plumage.  It is still mostly in breeding plumage.  Males and females look
alike, so I can't help you on that question.

Good birding.

Shane Adams
East of Hamblen County
Morristown, TN. 37813