[Bristol-Birds] The Alpha "Wolf" was not this white.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:14:48 -0400

The resident living on Patrick Henry Lake in Sullivan County, TN sent me
the photos

of the white animal he was able to photo capture across the lake from his
home last

winter.  What he is calling the Alpha "wolf" is the very light tan male
which was

seen with the black female and three pups and frequenting a cave.

So he seems to suggest this is a white coyote but not the father or Alpha of

the parents and pups at the cave.

He did not get a picture of the black female.

During the winter, I had a long talk with a TWRA wildlife officer and we
discussed

coyotes in Sullivan County.  He said he had personally picked up two  or
three

road killed black coyotes in the north bound lane of I-81 on the Tri-City
Airport

side of the bridge over Patrick Henry Lake north of Colonial Heights near

Kingsport.  He said TWRA official think maybe there is a genetic group of
black

coyotes in that area.

TWRA biologist Pete Wyatt of Talbot near Morristown, TN told me he had not

personally seen a black coyote but there have been others seen and/or killed

In the southeastern part of the state.

In Southwest Virginia, hunters have shot maybe a half dozen or more black

coyotes in the Chilhowie area and several can be seen mounted in local

stores in that town.   Our group, working on the Golden Eagle study in

Russell County, VA about two winters back, got a photo of a black coyote

coming to a baited wildlife camera on Clinch Mountain in Russell Co, VA.

Tom Hunter has the original photo of that animal.

Attachments:  photos of white coyote at Patrick Henry Lake.