[Bristol-Birds] Re: Test Your Hawk ID Skills

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:22:53 -0800 (PST)

I have no guides here right now, but the bird appears to be an
accipiter by it's shape.  I cannot see the prey item well, but
believe your ID of (common) Grackle.  Comparing the size of the hawk
to the grackle leads me to rule out Sharp-shinned Hawk.  True, the
tail looks straight and not rounded, but that is always a tricky ID
point.

The supercilium does not look wide and conspicuous enough for Goshawk
(some Cooper's show this, though most field guides don't) , though
the size may be that big, and the fewer, broader dark tail bands also
point that direction.

I wish I could see the breast color, as that could effectively rule
out gos.

The steel gray of the back indicates adult bird, but the yellow eyes
indicate subadult, so I'll go out on a limb and say it was hatched
last year (called a second year bird).

So what did you call it, Goshawk, or female Cooper's Hawk?

Charlie

--- Mayhorn <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Area Birders,
> A few days ago this hawk flew into my yard here on Compton Mt in
> Buchanan County and caught a grackle at a feeder. Just after it
> came to the ground with its prey I photographed it. Here is the
> link to two photos. See if you can identify the hawk. One hint - it
> is a bit tricky.
> http://users.mikrotec.com/mayhorn/BIMG/HAWKP.htm
>
> Send your response to mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx I will later post the
> hawk's identity and the responses I received. I will not post any
> names.
>
> Good Luck with your ID.
>
> Roger Mayhorn
> Compton Mt
> Buchanan County VA
> Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications
> between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia
> and Northeast Tennessee.
>        Wallace Coffey, Moderator
>          wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>            (423)764-****

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson