[Bristol-Birds] Sora in northeast Tennessee

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:38:57 -0400

The only state breeding record for the Sora was in the spring of 1990 when
Martha Waldron and others had two black chicks with an adult at the T.E.
Maxson Treatment Plant at the EARTH Complex in southwest Shelby County, TN -
17 April to 8 June (The Migrant, 61(2):55,1990).

The region has one other record for this month.  It is a bird 21 June 1956
in a Roaring Fork hayfield in Greene County and reported by Ruth Reed Nevius
(The Migrant 27 (3):52, 1956).

Wallace and others,

I know of one other record for Sora in northeast Tennessee in June--

On June 18, 2000, I found a Sora at a farm pond near Tusculum in Greene County
(The Migrant 71(4):121).  Although I visited the site often after the sighting,
I never saw the bird again.  In the big flood of August 2001, the dam creating
the pond was destroyed.  It has not been re-built, and the property owners no
longer encourage visitors to the site.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia