[Bristol-Birds] Solitary Sandpipers, Sept. 19

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:08:50 -0400

Gil Derouen, Reece Jamerson and Bryan Stevens found a good number of Solitary Sandpipers in Washington and Sullivan County on Sept. 19.

At Austin Springs at Boone Lake near Johnson City, we found six (perhaps 8) Solitary Sandpipers and several Killdeer.

At the pond on the right upon entering Observation Knob Road on the way to Musick's Campground at South Holston Lake, we found 11 Solitary Sandpipers. These shorebirds, most of them resting, dotted the pond's edge every few feet. There was also a single Wood Duck on the pond.

At Musick's Campground, we missed most of the good birds seen earlier in the day by Rick Knight, but a good number of Common Terns were still present as well as 100 or more Blue-winged Teal. The only shorebirds we identified at Musick's were Killdeer.

Arriving back at home in Hampton, TN, I had time to locate a few warblers, including Bay-breasted and Tennessee.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia