[Bristol-Birds] Smorgasbord of Swallows

  • From: MerlinZ02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:39:59 EDT

Hello Bristol Area Birdes:
Between works today I wandered down towards western Washington County to bird
between the breaks of rain and hail (cold air aloft with the cold front
passing through brought periods of hail with the rain).

I first checked down past Washington College with not much more than good
numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds and Eastern Meadowlarks.

On down at Keebler Road I saw a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, Red-bellied
Woodpecker, and a good number of Red-winged Blackbirds and Eastern Meadowlarks.
 Other
common birds: Mourning Doves, Rock Pigeons, Starlings, and 5 Mallards.

As I crossed the bridge into Greene County going into Davey Crockett
Birthplace State Park I noticed a smorgasbord of swallows sitting on the
powerlines
over the bridge and many more flying over the large creek.  Every swallow we
have in Tennessee (save Bank) was identified:

Purple Martin (many)
Tree Swallow (many)
Barn Swallow (many)
Northen-rough Winged Swallow (many)
Cliff Swallow (2)

Total Swallows was well over 200.  It is always amazing to see that many
swallows flying over, under, and sitting above one bridge in such a confined
area.

As I talked with State Park Ranger Leslie Burrell I heard a Bobwhite and
Yellow Warbler.  Both should be recorded in Greene County.

With the weather acting and feeling like March (in late April) it should be
interesting weekend ahead birding (AKA the 5 county spring count surrounding
and including Carter County).

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN