[Bristol-Birds] Short-eared Owl at Joachim Bible Refuge (Greene Co, TN) 3/28/11

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-birds <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:29:44 -0700 (PDT)

After work in Greene Co I headed over to Joachim Bible Refuge to try to
photograph the Rough-legged Hawk, which was still present.  As I was walking
through the field of waist-high grass and shrubs, I was thinking about
Short-eared Owl.  Don Miller had told me about a sighting there in 2006.  As I
was considering whether to stay until dark to look for them, my daughter called
to say dinner was ready.  That decided it - one last scan and I'm out of here.
As I walked over to survey the fields for ducks and shorebirds, a Northern
Harrier dive bombed another bird that was hidden in the grass.  Up popped a
Short-eared Owl with some small prey in its talons.  The two birds scrapped,
and
the SEOW soared up and away with the harrier following.  I ran back for my
camera.  The SEOW eventually returned, flew around for a while surveying the
area and eventually settled back into the field (east of Matthews Lane near the
short silo that says 'Butler').  Made it home just slightly late for dinner...

A few photos attached:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/

Other birds of note included: Purple Martin (1), Barn Swallow (1), Greater
Yellowlegs (8).

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN