[Bristol-Birds] Shorebirds, etc in Rogersville (Hawkins Co, TN) 5/16/07

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:24:29 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday was the first day I have found shorebirds at Phipps Bend this year,
possibly corresponding with the current low water level.  (There were several
more shorebirds than listed below that I could not identify from a distance
[sandpiper sp.?].)  I enjoyed a nice paddle with Susan Hubley on John Sevier
Lake in the evening in near perfect weather after the rain.

  Phipps Bend (Hawkins Co) 5/16/07 AM
  Greater yellowlegs
  Lesser yellowlegs
  Spotted sandpiper (3)
  Green heron (3)
  GBH (4)
  Killdeer
  Yellow-billed cuckoo (calling)
  Common yellowthroat
  N. parula
  E. kingbird

  Rogersville at Hwy 66 Bridge (lunchtime)
  Osprey
  GBH (11)
  D-c cormorant (15+)
  Red-breast merganser (female hanging with Canada geese)
  Black vultures (10+)

  John Sevier Lake (paddling kayaks with Susan Hubley) PM
  Cliff swallows
  GBH (5-6 attended nests)
  Greater yellowlegs (2)
  Spotted sandpiper (2+)