[Bristol-Birds] Shady Valley Swainson's Warbler habitat hemlocks devastated

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:01:17 -0400

I was back in Shady Valley, Johnson Co., TN, today
for a preliminary site survey where Chris O'Bryan and I
began five years ago to photograph eastern hemlock
trees in order to assess changes as the hemlock
woolly-adelgid infestation was gaining momentum.

It was the same year that
 we did a survey to find
infested Steele Creek Park
hemlocks. Park naturalists
Kevin Elam, Chris O'Bryan
and I found the insect
present in an estimated
20 percent of the trees
surveyed along Steele
Creek Lake on Monday,
June 27.  It was discovered
in many of the graceful and
beautiful hemlocks along the lake. We were pleased to
know the park staff would get a running headstart to
quickly treat and save the trees and preserve the scenic
beauty of the lakeshore.

Today, I wanted to visit our Swainson's Warbler sites
where John Shumate and I began monitoring this species
and its breeding territories in Jun 1993 on Cherokee
National Forest lands along Rt. 133 and Beaverdam Cr.
to Backbone Rock.  By 1999, eight territories had been
located.
Now, 10 years after those
eight territories had been
mapped and documented,
a study by the U.S. Forest
Service, last year,  suggests
the insect is killing hemlocks
in the southern Appalachians
faster than expected. The
Swainson's Warbler is a
"Tennessee In Need of
Management " species and
has been found irregularly
during the breeding season
over the state's mountain region.

All Shady locations were in wide flood plains with moist, cool
areas which often had small pools of water.  Two additional
territories were located at The Nature Conservancy's John R.
Dickey Birch Branch Sanctuary just above 2600 ft.,  22 Jun
1997, by a Bristol Bird Club mini-foray which did the first
ever bird survey of that site.  Many of you remember taking
part in that survey since we had a large turnout of members.

Hemlocks are believed to be an important overstory species
where Swainson's Warbler habitat is prime.  A 2002 Harvard
University study found eastern hemlock has unique structural
characteristics that provide important habitat for numerous
bird species in the north-eastern US. As a result, removal of
hemlock by the infestation has profound effects on avian
communities.
It was devastating to
see the dead hemlocks
at our primary Swainson's
study site where we
monitored the species
every year for more than
a decade.

The loss of our hemlocks
has been compared to past
man-made eastern forest
eco-disasters on the scale
of the Chestnut blight,
the gypsy moth infestation and
Dutch Elm disease but little is
certain about what will happen,
especially to our cold mountain
streams, rivers and warbler
habitat which hemlocks benefit
with their cool shade.

 On 12 May 2010, I found two Swainson's Warblers back on our
 survey areas and one on our study site but that was well before
 the hot days of June and now the breeding season.  It will be of
 great interest to follow the species along this route on a year-to-year
 basis as the hemlocks die out.

Not enough is known about the importance of hemlock to
Swainson's Warbler breeding habitat in the Appalachians.
Surveys for nesting Swainson's conducted in the Appalachian
mountains of northwestern South Carolina (Pickens County)
during the breeding seasons from 1999 to 2003 were conducted
by Clemson University researchers.  A total of 74 nests were
located, of which 60 (81%) were found in young (small) eastern
hemlock. This nest-site selection tendency in montane populations
had not been described. Habitat data collected in 1999 revealed
trends of nests placed low, supported by multiple stems, close
to the main tree stem, well concealed from above with leaf litter,
poorly concealed from below and relatively close to streams.
They  suggested that conservation of areas in the Southern
Appalachians where eastern hemlock is a component of the
forest may play an important role in Swainson's Warbler
conservation.

Swainson's Warbler have been a fairly common summer
resident, Apr - Jul. in Shady Valley.  It is primarily associated
with the moist lower slopes of mountain ravines where the
proportion of hemlock increases and rhododendron is often
the main understory species.

Let's go birding . . . .

JPEG image

JPEG image