[Bristol-Birds] Sedge Wren - NO, Black-billed Cuckoo - YES!

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:19:46 EDT

15 AUG 04
Austin Springs
Washington Co., TN
.
This afternoon Carol and I set out for the Sedge Wren spotted and reported
earlier at Austin Springs by Don Holt. I heard a brief scolding chide from the
ditch line near the first fence on the right. That bird did not give me enough
information for an ID, however. Our miss of the target species did not put an
overcast on our adventure as we compiled an enjoyable list. While searching
the field to right of the entry I heard, for the very first time(!), the kew
kew
kew of the BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO. Despite searching the tree line no view was
to be had.
.
We also enjoyed a brief conversation with very hospitable Humphrey's as we
departed their property.
.
Seen today were:
.
Great Egret - 1
Osprey - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 2
Turkey Vulture - 2
Wood Duck - 4
Green Heron - 4
Canada Goose - 11
D.C. Cormorant - 3
E. Kingbird - 12
A. Goldfinch - 15 (3 - Juv.s begging an adult)
Hummingbird (R/T?) - 2
Indigo Bunting - 1
E. Meadowlark - 2
Song Sparrow - 5