[Bristol-Birds] Screech Owl

  • From: hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:38:09 -0400 (EDT)

I saw my first screech owl of the year on Saturday March 28th while
checking for resident coopers hawks at my father-in-laws. The owl was
roosting in a tree in their back yard. I spooked it and it flew to a pine
tree, I got a good look at it. The color was more brown than rufous or
grey, I used to go looking on a regular basis for screech owls and would
see on average 20-25 a year this is the first brown color I have
encountered. The owl was in Bristol, TN.

Note: I have yet to see the hawks that nest around the property although
my father-in-law has seen one of them. I am hoping they will return for
another year, its fun to watch the young when they come off the nest.

                                            Michael Sanders